Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mini Vacation

 And by mini I mean one day, but it was great.  Bobby's parents got in on Friday and went with me to Jack's waterbabies class.  They loved watching Jack swim for the toys.  I think he really is trying to swim since both the arms and legs get kickin' and splashin'.  After the class, we headed over to Fresh Market to pick up some lunch and dinner stuff.  Always suggest Fresh Market when other people will be paying...  Then we headed home to see Bobby who was back after working a half day on his supposed day off.  True four days weekends are scarce in this household...

Bobby and I were able to get a mini-date in on Saturday.  We wanted to go find Bobby's mom copper or bronze salt and pepper grinders, but had no luck.  You'd think they'd be a little more popular.  But we did get to have lunch together at Panera Bread and I actually tasted the food.  I also had to get a strapless bra for the dress I wore to the wedding.  I wore this dress last year at this time to another friends wedding, but went braless.  My girls have changed quite a bit since Jack has been around.  The girls are not in braless shape these days.  Of course I couldn't find anything comfortable at Macy's, where things are always on sale, I had to fall in love with one from Victoria's Secret.  They always make things so comfy and expensive.  But I do have a few shirts I haven't been able to wear since the girls grew.  Now I just need Bobby to take me on another date...

Sunday morning we packed up the car with unbelievable amounts of stuff, mostly for Jack, and headed up to Charleston, SC.  I had big plans of hitting up the Aquarium and downtown, but we just hung out at the pool until it was time to get ready for the wedding.  Of course Jack loved being able to swim!  I regret this now, but we didn't bring our camera to the wedding.  I didn't want to bring a purse, since it's also a diaper bag and I didn't think to bring a smaller real purse, and I didn't want to carry the camera. The last wedding we went to, we lost our camera so we didn't need a repeat of that!  So we just took a family pic before we got on the bus to take us to the wedding.

Jack was way too interested in the other people to look at the camera.

The wedding was beautiful.  It was at the Pepper Plantation, where I plan to move to.  A gated equestrian community, sign me up!  We ate a low country boil, roasted marshmallows for s'mores, watched fireworks and danced under the stars!  It was great. 

Well all was great until later that night.  I woke up in the middle of the night scratching my skin off.  I really didn't want to turn any lights on since Jack was sleeping in the room with us, but he must have heard all my fussing and woke up anyway.  Turned the lights on and I was covered in a splotchy red puffy rash.  I have no allergies and really have never even had a rash, so I had no idea what was doing this to me.  But I sucked it up and went back to sleep.  The next morning when we got up I was still kinda itchy but it was much better.  We packed up the hotel room and headed to the aquarium.  Jack loved looking at all the fish.

We probably made it through the aquarium in record time.  I guess thats what happens when you take a 7 month old there right?  Yes, I said 7 month old, can you believe it??;)  For lunch, we were touristy and ate at Bubba Gump's.  It was quite tasty.  The shrimp were very yummy.  I liked Bobby's better than mine, but we were sharing so it didn't matter much.  Since we were ready to get back, we skipped walking around Charleston and got on the road back home.  In the car, I started getting all itchy again.  My stomach, arms, and legs were covered in the same splotchy red puffy itchiness.  I was pretty miserable on the way home.  When we got home, I had to take all my clothes off since they were so irritating. Bobby slathered me in hydrocortisone cream and I popped a benadryl, which knocked me out.  I've never taken one before surprisingly.  But we can't figure out what happened to me though.  Either the sheets in the hotel bothered me or the shrimp I ate got me.  I had shrimp at the wedding and for lunch the next day.  Here's the strange part.  I eat shrimp all the time.  I worked at a seafood restaurant where I've slung millions of shrimp, and probably ate that many too.  So what gives?  As long as it doesn't happen again, I'm ok with never knowing...



Sounds like a fabulous vacation, minus the itchy-blotchiness! Here's hoping it wasn't the shrimp -- it's too tasty to go without!


By the way -- thank you for the recipe too! I cannot WAIT to eat cheese again. Goat cheese is by far one of my faves, so I may wait to make it until I can add it in!

Post a Comment